Cultural & Environmental Tours
Over fifteen-hundred elephants permantly reside or migrate through the Nyae Nyae Conservancy. The waterhole at the lodge is a frequent stopping point for elephants during the dry season, as well as kudu, eland, hyena and a wide variety of bird species.
Our Excursions – Our Flyer 2019
The guided cultural and environmental tours offer a wide range of experiences that allow our guests to meet the remarkable Ju/’hoan people and experience their unique culture as it exists today and from their ancient past. Our knowledgeable and experienced guides are members of the local community and can answer questions about their culture, the flora and fauna of the Eastern Kalahari and the life of San people in modern Namibia.
With its close proximity to the Nyae Nyae Pans and Khaudom National Park, TUCSIN Tsumkwe Lodge is in the heart of a wilderness paradise.
Activities / Excursions:
- Full Day Cultural Village Visit
- Half Day Cultural Village
- Half Day Holboom Excursion (Giant Baobab Tree)
- Half Day Nyae Nyae Pans Excursion
- Full Day Khaudum Excursion Inclusive – 4×4 Vehicle, Driver-guide, Park entry fees – (Lunch packs for guests own account)
- Here the rates: ttl_rates 2019
The tours can be combined and tailored to suit your interests.
These activities can also be arranged for you right at the Lodge:
Just let us know your interests – it is vital to contact please in advance to your visit: reservations-tsumkwe
– Storytelling: The ancient practice of storytelling is still a nightly ritual around many village fires surrounding Tsumkwe. These stories of the past teach, entertain and help to keep the culture alive. Elders come frequently to the lodge to share stories with the children from our Culture Class Project. You are invited to join them in the early evening to observe and enjoy the tales of the Ju/’hoansi. You may also hire a storyteller for your own group or family.
– Traditional Archery: Test your bow skills with our set of authentic, hand-crafted bows and poison-less arrows. If our tour guides are available, they would be proud to give you a few tips.
– Cultural Dance Performance: Students from our Culture Class Project are always proud to demonstrate their skills for appreciative visitors. The cultural dancers introduce and perform a range of dances and games in each performance. Proceeds are used to provide needed school supplies, uniforms and/or toiletries for the students.
– Ju/’hoan Village Immersion Tour: This package includes accommodation in a village with a host family in a traditionally constructed grass hut. You will also experience traditional food tasting, storytelling by the family fire, lessons in traditional craft production, bow and arrow construction, identifying bush foods, tracking, trapping and dance.
Your immersion experience can be one night or longer depending on your preference. Longer visits involve collecting materials for the construction of your own grass hut, a hunting expedition with the bow and arrow you made yourself, volunteering in the Village School to deliver a lesson, as well as many amazing photo opportunities. Guests need to bring along their sleeping bag. Please get in advance a quotation: reservations-tsumkwe